Thursday, March 19, 2020

Sea to Bay 2020: a Succession of Successes (and Some Lessons)

Let's start from the beginning, where, three days before the show, I began packing. I had everything planned out, in regards of who I was planning on bringing and such. All I needed was to pack. So, of course, as soon as I could, I began. I swear after I was done, my room looked like a bomb had gone off... Anyway, halfway there, I realized that I had forgotten not only half my mini showstring, but also my stable stalls. Whoops. In all actuality, I think that this setback might have been a good thing after all. I think with cutting my showstring is, approximately, half, I had more time to just breathe. I even got some a gazillion pictures!

Come Saturday morning, my mom/Confused Bystander That Still Comes to Shows out of Obligation and I left the EconoLodge (thankfully... it was quite the experience) and headed over to the Pokomoke City FD. The parking lot (or "car park" for all you strange Brits) in front of the entrance was nearly full.

Well, the show started promptly on time, and, luckily, I didn't have to enter anything until class 7, "Other Light". Of course, my plan was to begin my day with class 2, "Part Arabian", but I left half my showstring at home. "Why?" you may ask? Well, I began packing 72 hours prior to departure, which made it very difficult to actually pack my showstring in its entirety. Anyway, I was baffled to come back to the "ring" and see that not only had he NAN'd, but he took first! My first placing of the day, not too shabby! So, I moved him over to the callbacks ring to be judged against the rest of the winners, which took roughly ten minutes to judge. Even more surprisingly, I came back to see that he had taken Grand Champion of the Light Breeds division! Gleefully, I returned to my table, waiting for Overall Callbacks to be called. (Spoiler alert, to my absolute shock, he took Overall Reserve???)
AN Tranquilizer Gun, one of my first models that I've owned! Love this kiddo.

My next class, class 6, "Paso Fino", had a whopping three entries; I had anticipated it was going to be a table-filler! I was even more surprised with taking a first here, despite its small size. Who would've thought this mare could pull that off? Off to the callbacks table she went! (Another equally as shocking spoiler alert: she took reserve. I mean... how?? Um, okay!)
AN Racing Stripes- I guess I didn't get a picture of her at the callbacks table? 

After that, I had class 12, "Other Pure/Mix Stock", where I came out empty-handed. I learned something valuable: maybe Colorado Ranger isn't a catch-all for any standing/trotting/cantering/galloping Appaloosa-patterned horse.
AN Monster In the Shadows

Moving on to class 15, "Other WB/SH", where my Rialto, AN All That Jazz, came out with a fourth. Not too bad for a big class! Albeit, if I'm being honest, I had higher hopes than that, but I can't be too disappointed; live showing is all about having fun and learning in the process!
AN All That Jazz, taken before the class was pinned

Three classes later, class 18, "American Draft", I entered my BHR Bryant's Jake, AN Toto. Unfortunately, since that class was giant, he didn't come out with anything, but oh well!
AN Toto 

I had the chance to take a breather for two classes, then it was go time again; this time on to class 20, "Light/Riding Pony". There, my Brookside Pink Magnum, AN Beats Per Minute, made an appearance. Yet again, nothing, but I'm not here to complain, and, anyway, I wouldn't anyway. I'd say the show had been a rousing success thus far regardless, especially because I was having fun. It wasn't stressful, which made the showing experience that much more enjoyable!
AN Beats Per Minute 

Immediately after was class 21, "American Pony". Two of my guys made cameos there, AN Sweet 'N Salty and AN Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Sweetie came out with a sixth, despite his condition, which I'd describe as "High PSQ", due to a very prominent rub on his show-side shoulder. And, Brownie came out with a third! Hooray!
AN Sweet 'N Salty
AN Chocolate Fudge Brownie 

Finally, AN Scooter had his time to shine, in class 23, "Other Pure Breed"! For any of y'all who're unfamiliar with Scooter, a 2011 JAH 2011 SR on the Othello mold, Pamplemousse, he's my account mascot, and makes frequent cameos on my Instagram, @AllOrNadaStudios. In this class, his partner in crime was the RR Gypsy Vanner, AN Italix. Now, before you read on, I'd like you to take a guess as to which model placed higher as a Gypsy Vanner: AN Italix or Scooter. Do you have your answer in mind?


Well, to my absolute shock, not only did AN Italix take first, but he went on to take Reserve Champion of the "Other" Division, while Scooter left empty-handed. How interesting! As it turns out, the Othello mold doesn't have enough feathering to properly pass as a Gypsy Vanner, according to the OF Breyer 1:9/1:12 judge. However, as we'll find out in my AR/CM Recap, that opinion is not universal among judges.
AN Italix (whose name the judge had a tough time pronouncing LOL) 
AN Scooter 

Then, I had a nice 7-class break, ending with class 30, "Spanish Foals". Here, my two newest foals, the Best of British foal set both came out without ribbons, but that's fine!
I forget this one's name, but it isn't what the card says! 
Same with this one... Whoops! 

Are you still with me? We're almost done with this recap! The next class, class 32, "Modern Deco (1984-present)" sported two of my models, Cypress, AKA AN Cinematic Chaos, and Lancelot, AKA AN Cyborg. Unfortunately, AN Cinematic Chaos also left empty handed. However, I did get my first yellow card! AN Cyborg took a second in that class, which was decently large! Squee!
AN Cinematic Chaos (I know she doesn't stand that way, and her documentation could have been laid more neatlty- Oopsie!)
AN Cyborg
Boy, oh boy! Did you stick through that? Jeez, thank you! I'm surprised that I'm that entertaining! Anyway, I won't keep y'all for any longer. 'Till next time!
QOTP: Do you live show? What's your favorite live showing memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment