Saturday, March 27, 2021

Landloched

As I'm sure many of you know, not only am I a collector, but I'm also a rider. Primarily, this is a collector's blog, but with lockdown and all, I can't really do much in the model horse world, but I still want to keep y'all updated! Last fall, I switched barns, realizing I couldn't reach my full potential where I was. There, I couldn't compete, and I really couldn't do too much jumping either. However, this isn't about my barn switch. If any of y'all follow my equestrian Instagram, @EventingAndAgility, you'd know that I compete in Area II, and I have slowly but surely eased my way back into the world of insanity-in-the-middle-ness. Most recently, this has included the Loch Moy Derby series, in which I've participated atop my trusty steed, Cozzie. 

You'd be hard-pressed to find me without fun socks, no matter the occasion.

The first derby was, well, meh. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but I'm also pretty materialistic and wanted the prizes. Coming out in fifth for our first go 'round was pretty great, though! (Once I get the picture of Cozzie and I posing with our pastel pink ribbon, I'll attach it, but it's yet to land in my lap.) If I'm remembering correctly, we went 20-something seconds under time, but time wasn't really my concern. Rather, I just wanted to get through the round clearly and properly. If you were there, you may have heard me shamelessly, basically, announcing "six! Six! Six! Six!" on my way to, well, jump six, for example. Why? Well, in my last XC round, back at an onsite show, I got lost. If you're curious, here's some footage of my round (notice that a jump judge actually pulled me aside to tell me to get out of the way- whoops). So, so very lost. And I couldn't have that again, especially because I'm on a team and can't let them down. Again, materialism. Anyway, onlookers were, to say the least, borderline confused by my number-shouting. 
The ribbons and prizes outside the show secretary's office 
To no surprise, he was an angel. Carted me around like a champ. Not to be cliché, but we may have finished in fifth, but he's a winner in my eyes. I couldn't have asked for a better horse at the derby. 

Uhh, mister? The jump is down there!
Come January's derby, I was slightly more nervous and decided to take the options that made me feel the most secure, despite the fact that we've cleared 2'9" no problem. I think my ride on Diva had still shaken me then (understandably so)! 
Not too shabby, eh? Thanks, Cozzie!
Unfortunately, between then and late February, Cozzie had become lame (we think, I still haven't been told what happened, but it manifested itself like lameness). So, I rode a different horse, Brooke, for the next two derbies. Now, Brooke is considerably quicker than Cozzie, which I think was nice, because I didn't have to worry about "leg" as much as I did other things (like time, confidence, direction, etc...). She's just as much a rockstar as he. I have to admit. It, overall, had not been my day. I don't know what I would've done without my teammates. Between being pit crew and lending me a saddle (yes, you read that correctly... I might have forgotten a girth), they totally saved the day, for which I can't thank them enough. If any of you are reading this, I've got to say, I owe you... big time. Thank you. I mean, at least I placed well and had fun; that's good right? 
Believe it or not, I think this oxer scared me the most, and I don't know why. Ahh, I need to get out of my head! 
Some victory food for the good mare!
Isn't she the sweetest?
Perhaps the best derby was the last, happening earlier this month. Not only had I taken first (again hehe), but both Greta and my grandpa tagged along to watch! 
Meet the newest additions to my cheering squad
I also want to shout out my lovely coach and trainer, Rachel McDonough. Her training has been invaluable, and I can't wait to see how far I go under her watchful eye. 

I, for one, am not much of a mug enthusiast, but I'm sure I can figure something out ;)
What about y'all? Have you been showing recently? How's it been going? Can't wait to hear all about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment